Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Night at the busstop

I was waiting for my bus to bangalore when this small girl comes along with her palm spread. She's just around 6 years. Has a baby dangling on her hips, the baby's just over 6 months. I reach out to my jeans searching for some change. She wouldn't even wait for me. She's seen people do it all day and its already about her eobd. There's a heap of sand by the side and she just rests on her knees. She found her playstation after a day's hard work. She flattens the sand at one corner and starts drawing some designs. Curls, circles and stars. How I wished she had gone to school at some point.

There's a big racket controlling these children who are forced to beg. Small babies are rented out to these people by poor parents who are out on daily labor. They get a small amount in return and their baby back at the end of the day. And these kids are to deposit their collection at regular intervals to the controllers who keep a watch on them throughout. This is the worst ever thing that could happen and more so in big cities where there's a economic disparity big enough to run this business.
What should we do. This is something very obvious. Probably learned people don't give as much thought to it. Dropping a penny off seems to be a easier job. I don't blame anyone. No one wants to take the trouble of trying to solve this problem. Police and stuff. People just want to stay away from all that. The so-called NGO's I dont understand what they do. I once tried apprehending a guy who was using kids to beg. I just couldn't do anything. He just whisked away.
These kids don't have a better life as they grow up. They would probably be shifted to flesh-trade or made housemaids when they are big enough not to raise sympathy for money. This to me seems to be the root of all social exploitations. Can we do something about this?

Its nice to write about something like this and consider your job done. Get page hits. Get paid by google too if you are feeling lucky. There'll be loads of comments sympathizing, condoling, reasoning out, offering solutions. But is that all?. Can't we take a step outside leaving the keyboard and work out something about it.

3 Comments:

Blogger kishore gopalakrishna said...

Hey Bharat,

very nice man. I are amazing :-) keep it up, your big bro sent me the link today. I will keep a tab on your blog:-), now that there are so many uncertainties in my life :-)

4:07 PM  
Blogger kishore gopalakrishna said...

sorry You are amazing ;-)

4:07 PM  
Blogger gandhi said...

thanks maga for the first comments..
will try to update the blog regularly :)

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home